Friday, December 14, 2012

Christmas Idea: Salted Bourbon Caramel Sauce



Okay, so this one is more foodie than frugal, although if you had bourbon in your liquor cabinet already, it would be more frugal for you! I'm going to a Pie Whiskey Holiday Party (bring pie, bring whiskey, or bring a holiday) so I wanted to try making this Salted Bourbon Caramel Sauce to go on top of some mini chocolate cupcakes. Wanna know how I found it? I googled "Whiskey Caramel Sauce." Amazing, right? How did people cook before Google?




I was very intimidated by making caramel sauce. I had never made it before. The good thing about making caramel sauce? There is no candy thermometer necessary and it doesn't ruin as quickly as making candy. It was also extremely fun and fast!



Watching the sugar boil was mesmerizing for me. It was soothing to watch the tons and tons of bubbles popping. It turned amber-colored pretty quickly, and as soon as I added the cream and butter, it looked just like real caramel sauce.



The recipe was very easy to follow and I'm not going to use this recipe to make little jars of it for some people on my Christmas list! It's fairly inexpensive, quick and absolutely delicious and everyone will be impressed that you made something so fancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment