Thursday, April 18, 2013

Breakfast for Dinner: Waffles


I have food issues. Sometimes when I hear people talk about food, be it doughnuts, ice-cream, pizza, what have you, I suddenly get a craving like a crazy pregnant lady. If it's something like ice-cream where I would have to go out to get it, sometimes I can coax the craving to go away. But when it's something I can easily make with ingredients I already have in my kitchen, that's when we have a problem. That's when you can find my in my kitchen making cookies at 9 p.m. Today, this happened to me with waffles. I was watching an episode of West Wing on Netflix (I'm obsessed), someone mentioned waffles, and the craving hit me like a truck. And then it dawned on me: I have everything I need to make them! And so, I had waffles for dinner.





Meet my binder. I've had this binder since I went away to college and wanted to bring some of my favorite recipes from my mom. Since then the binder has expanded and has some of the best go-to recipes, including this waffle recipe. It calls for such basic ingredients, I can make it anytime, and it tastes so much better than a box mix.



I love my waffle maker. It's not essential for most people but I like waffles so much better than pancakes that it's a kitchen basic for me. This was actually a gift from my ex-boyfriend's parents. I got rid of everything from him or his family when we broke up, but I couldn't bring myself to ditch the waffle maker, or the Kindle obviously. Every time I use that waffle iron I think "This was the best thing I got out of that relationship," and it makes me smile every time. 



The only thing in this recipe that I don't always have on hand is milk. I'm not a big milk drinker and I make my oatmeal for breakfast at work, not at home. I've made this recipe with water instead of milk and it was fine. I've also used buttermilk because I had it lying around and that was also delicious. Lenny loves them too.




I'm just kidding. I really just wanted an excuse to post this ridiculously cute picture of my cat. I know, I'm a crazy cat lady in training. The original recipe calls for separating the egg whites from the yolks, whip the whites until they form stiff peaks, and fold that into the other ingredients. This step certainly makes them lighter and really makes the batter go further, but I'm not usually patient enough for this step, so I just throw the eggs in. You can also adjust the amount of confectioners sugar if you prefer them sweeter, but I think they're perfect the way they are, and taste best with berries and whipped cream. I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I have!

Belgian Waffles
Adapted from Charlotte J on food.com
Print

Makes 3 full waffles

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups milk
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 pinch salt

Combine the flour, baking powder, confectioners sugar, oil, milk, eggs, vanilla and salt.
Pour ½ cup of the mixture into a hot waffle iron and bake for about 2 minutes, or until ready.
Repeat with the remaining batter.
Top with your favorite fruit and whipped cream, or maple syrup, and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment