Monday, March 3, 2014

Frugal Foodie Makeover: Tex-Mex Breakfast Scramble


I've known it for a while. How could I have missed it? Buying bigger clothes to fit my expanding ass and out-of-control boobs. And those stretch marks? No, I didn't give birth recently, those are from cupcakes and brownies. Last week my doctor talked to me about weight loss. It's the first time I've had this talk with a medical professional but it was only a matter of time. She wants me to come back in 6 months to check in and see how I'm doing. Opportunity presents itself in weird ways sometimes, right? 

The Frugal Foodie is going to undergo a bit of a makeover: healthier food, that doesn't taste like healthy food, for less money. Recipe makeovers and reviews and tips for making healthy food without breaking the bank. There will be nutrition info too! There will probably be a not-so-healthy recipe in there now and then, but those will (unfortunately) include nutrition info as well, because despite my best reasoning skills, just because a good doesn't come with a nutrition label, does not mean it's "not that bad." I'm going to allow myself one cheat day per week, and for those times where I just really want to bake something, I'll be bringing the extras to a local soup kitchen, because I have no self-control when sweets are hanging around my kitchen. I'll be donating treats to people who probably don't get treats very often. Sounds like a win-win to me! There will be ups, there will be downs, but I think sharing it all with you with hold me accountable and will get me back on the right track. 



I absolutely love breakfast, and going out to breakfast is one of my favorite things, so my first recipe creation is a Tex-Mex Breakfast Scramble. It was inspired by a recipe in the recent issue of Cooking Light magazine. I nixed the potatoes, and essentially made a deconstructed omelet without the cheese with the same combination of ingredients. I couldn't find chorizo at the store, so I used linguisa, and it still came out delicious.



The most expensive ingredient in this recipe is definitely the chorizo/linguisa. I paid $4 for one 12 oz. package, but because we're using so little an amount, it only comes to .66 for this one recipe. I've used this same package of sauce for 2 recipes now and I still have leftovers. I will probably freeze the extras in 2 oz sections so that I will have some ready to go for another recipe in the future. This is a great example of using a small amount of a specialty ingredient so that the recipe feels special.



I hope that you enjoy this recipe and I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with you!


Tex-Mex Breakfast Scramble

Serves 2
Print

Ingredients
2 tablespoons Canola Oil, divided
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup baby spinach
1/4 cup chorizo, cubed
4 eggs
1/8 cup 1% milk
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
black pepper

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan.
2. Add onion. Saute until translucent.
3. Add green pepper. Saute for 2 minutes.
4. Add chorizo and baby spinach. Saute for 2 minutes.
5. Whisk together eggs and milk in a bowl.
6. Add last tablespoon of oil to hot pan. Allow to heat. Pour in egg mixture.
7. Add spices.
8. Cook until eggs are desired firmness.




No comments:

Post a Comment