Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cheap and Fast: Linguine and Clam Sauce


Oh hey there! For today I made an old family classic in my house growing up. It's cheap to make and one of those recipes where I always keep the ingredients in the house for times when I want something quick, or when I haven't gone to the grocery store in a couple of weeks. Did I mention it's delicious?



The most expensive item that you may not already have on-hand would be the clams. They are often on sale for 2 for $5, or I bought these as part of a 6 pack from BJ's for $6. I also usually use pasta with added protein, which tends to be more expensive than regular pasta, but it is often on sale for $1 per box at times, and  you can easily use regular pasta. I usually use thin spaghetti rather than linguini, even though "linguini" is in the title. That's a personal preference. You should use what works best for you, or whatever you have on hand.

Since I've started making this, I've discovered two ingredients that are more expensive, but if you're anything like me, fresh herbs and garlic often go bad before you get a chance to use them. Introducing my solution...



These nifty little buggers stay good in the freezer and they make other herbs available as well. They run about $2.50 each, but I figure it balances out by not having to make a special trip to the grocery store to buy fresh ingredients, and they don't go bad.

The other great thing about this recipe is that it takes about as long as it takes for your pasta to cook. The recipe takes me 15 minutes, and that includes filling the pasta pot with water, all the way to draining the pasta. I even usually have time to clean everything up before it's done as well.

This recipe has been a staple in my house from the time I was a kid living at home, through college, to now. Once you try it, I know it will quickly become a classic in your house as well. Enjoy!


Linguine and Clam Sauce
Printable Recipe

Makes 2 servings

Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil
3 cloves of crushed garlic
1/4 teaspoon oregano
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
2 cans chopped clams
3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley (I used 5 frozen cubes or about 2 tablespoons dried parsley)
Pepper
Cooked linguine (or spaghetti)

Saute garlic in a fry pan with olive oil. Add oregano and red pepper flakes to flavor the oil, but do not brown the garlic. Add parsley and clam juice. Let simmer for about 3 minutes. Add clams and pepper. Let cook for 3 minutes. Serve over linguine.


No comments:

Post a Comment