Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Portobello Burger with Smoked Gouda and the Mexican Brownie Saga Continues


It's that time of year again when the weather gets warmer and I start to realize that summer is right around the corner and that I need to get out of hibernation mode and eat healthy! I absolutely love this Portobello Mushroom Burger Recipe, complete with lots of garlic, a bit of mayo and smoked Gouda. What more could one ask for from something that is a very healthy dinner? I did make a few tweaks of my own to the recipe: I doubled the marinade and used powdered garlic instead of fresh in the mayo, but other than that, it's a fantastic recipe and I love it every time I make it.




Now for my Mexican Brownie saga. I've always been the person who told people that if you're going to eat a brownie, eat a real brownie and only have one. Then I realized that my brownie recipe has something like 250 calories per brownie! I did some research and was able to get the calorie count down to around 160 per brownie by using avocado in place of the butter and black beans to up the protein (hence the name Mexican Brownies); however, after two attempts at tweaking the recipe, I still feel like they're not quite finished. It's a little like an artist not wanting to reveal his masterpiece until it is complete. 



They came out a little cake-y for my liking, but they also came out like bricks. As in I could hurl these at an intruder and probably stop him dead in his tracks. I'll continue to play with the measurements and promise I will post the recipe when it no longer tastes like diet food, or has a texture like diet food. For now, enjoy the portobello mushroom burger recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment